Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What a Wonderful World



As many of you know, I have traveled throughout Africa, India, China, Mexico, etc. these past few years to help raise awareness for different needs within these countries. And, as you know, I recently got married, which means my travels have to be really limited now - so I can stay home with my cute hubby!

SO, I am now looking for ways to continue giving/raising awareness in impoverished countries, while staying home, and was SO excited to read about this cool non-profit that is doing great things: Kiva.org

Kiva.org allows individuals to make $25 loans to low-income entrepreneurs in the developing world (microfinance). By doing so, individuals like you provide affordable working capital for the poor (money to buy a sewing machine, livestock, etc.), empowering them to earn their way out of poverty.

It's a new, direct and sustainable way to fight global poverty, and the way I see it, I get a higher return on $25 helping someone build a future than the interest my checking account pays.

Anyways, if you have a minute, please check out the site: http://kiva.org. If you need more "reputable" validation than my recommendation :), know that they have received great press in publications ranging from The Wall Street Journal to NPR to BusinessWeek.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

brilliant!
i always wondered how that was done...
those Gap employees can no longer lord it over us.
thanks!!

e